Friday, March 27, 2009

Camps vs Weekly Lessons for Beginners

I coached a badminton camp last week. It was quite interesting to see the amount of progress a total beginner can make in such a short amount of time. Some kids went from being unable to hit the bird to having reasonably good rudiments in just one week.

You see, if you can't hit basic strokes, you're not having much fun but you have nothing else to do but to keep trying. You keep trying and trying, and eventually you start to get it. Then you can build on that before you forget how to hit. By the end of the week, you're pretty happy about your improvement.

With the weekly lessons, you might not get enough volume and frequency to achieve those early breakthroughs. So, you might learn something one week but lose those gains by the next week.

Now that I think of it, I started playing badminton at camp. I also started playing table tennis with weekly lessons. I'm still active in badminton, but not at all in table tennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment